Moving Home Checklist and Guide
Moving house involves lots of planning and work and some things can be easily overlooked. To help you plan you house move we’ve put together this handy moving house guide, which we hope you will fine helpful.
Approximately two to four weeks prior to you moving day:
• Confirm dates with your solicitor then your moving company
• Arrange for your boxes, tape and paper to be delivered to your door if self packing
• Packing: If you are doing this yourself, try to start at least two weeks before your move. Label all boxes with the details of their contents and the room in which they are to be placed at the new address.
• Pack heavy items with the lighter ones. Do not overload boxes
• All boxes should be manageable by the moving company and fully enclosed with tape. (no items sticking out the top)
• Any items you aren’t taking with you, either sell, give away or dispose of.
• Bank: Notify your bank of your change of address and consider transferring your account to a branch nearer to your new home.
• Schools: Notify your child’s school of their leaving date and advise the new school of your new address and child’s start date as soon as possible. Any new uniform should be purchased now
• Pension: Advise your pension scheme of your change of address.
• Insurances: Notify your insurance companies of your new address: ie car, life, contents and home.
• Driving Licence: Complete section 1 on your licence and return it to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BN.
• Doctor/Dentist/Optician: If new practices are to be sought, start this now
• Post Office: The Post office requires at least seven days notice for the re-direction of your mail. This can only be done over the counter at the post Office.
• TV Licence: Fill in the change of address part of your existing licence.
• Internet/TV/ Mobile Phone Providers: Contact and advise your change new address and the date from which you wish your new number to operate. Try and give at least two weeks notice.
• Pets: Where possible, make arrangements for friends or family to look after your pets during the move. Arrange for the transfer of your pet’s records to the new vet.
• Clear the loft.
A week before your move:
• Electricity: Contact your current supplier and give your meter reading and advise them and your new supplier of when you are to move into your new home. Give at least 48 hours’ notice.
• Gas: Give them 48 hours’ notice and give your meter readings.
• Water: At least 48 hours’ notice is required by both your existing and your new authority to arrange for the disconnection and re-connection of supply.
• Milk & newspapers: Clear any outstanding accounts and cancel supplies. Source a new milkman and paper shop where needed
• Children: If possible arrange childcare on the removal day with friends or family
• When out shopping, a bottle of bubbly to toast to your new home and maybe a flask for hot water on moving day
Three days before your move:
The essentials kit;
• Pack a bag with a change of clothes for all, clean bedding and toiletries. Include a survival kit for the new property; light bulbs, toilet roll, screwdriver, pliers, paper. Coffee/tea/kettle or flask
• Ensure you know where and what time to collect the keys for your new home.
Two days before your move:
• Empty and defrost and dry out your fridge/freezer.
• Make sure packets, bottles or jars are sealed with tape to prevent spillage during transit.
• Valuables, documents and jewellery securely packed and put in a safe place.
• Reserve parking with your neighbours where needed, to allow access for the removal company
• Any medicines needed should be stowed safely and not packed away with the rest of your belongings
The day before:
• Arrange the following days meal plans, breakfast, lunch, snacks, tea, coffee, sugar, biscuits. If needed have a flask on hand for a good old cuppa! Don’t forget to leave yourself some mugs out too!
• Plan the evening meal for moving day. It may be easier to order a takeaway.
• Disconnect hi-fi, pc and tv etc and pack up
Get a good night sleep and relax
MaxiMove Ltd – Man & Van Hire can help make your move as stress free as possible. We have been in business for over 10 years and have many successful moves under our belts. Please fill our short enquiry form at the bottom of the page, and one of our team will respond ASAP.
Contact MaxiMove Ltd – Man & Van Hire
For a Free No-Obligation Quotation
Call 07388 230841