Top 5 Think Most Likely To Get Damaged During Home Removals
Some things are more likely to get damaged than others. Here are the top 5 things likely to get damaged during home removals – and how to prevent such damages.
#1 – Drinking Glasses
Not surprisingly, drinking glasses are right at the top of breakables. It is, however, it is quite easy to prevent damages by:
• Using the correct box. So called “dish pack” have double-thick side walls for added protection, so these are most suitable type boxes for this purpose
• Placing each glass horizontally onto packing paper, and (starting at the corner) rolling the glass into it, making sure to tuck the papers sides in (like wrapping burritos). Depending on each glass thickness, this process needs to be repeated at least 3 to 5 times using additional sheets of paper. Once adequately wrapped, label the parcel to prevent the glass being thrown out with the wrapping paper when unpacking (this is especially important for smaller glasses).
• Using crumpled packing taper to cushion the bottom of the box
• Placing wrapped glasses vertically (this is much more secure) into the box in one layer
• On completing the first layer, adding a layer of packing paper
Repeating these layers until your box is full, making sure to use crumpled up wrapping paper to fill any remaing space.
#2 – Plates
All to often placed into boxes With to little padding, plates are sadly the second-likely thing to get damaged during home removals. Again, damages can be prevented by wrapping each plate in upto 5 sheets of packing paper, labeling them and placing the vertically into the cushioned box; Placing sheets of paper onto each layer of plates and finishing off by filling the spaces with crumpled up paper.
#3 – Artwork, Glass Picture Frames and Mirrors
Glass frames, artwork and mirrors are frequently damaged because moving boxes are inadequately cushioned and/or gaps are left at the top. To prevent damaging these items:
• Use a picture box
• Line the boxes bottom with crumpled sheets of paper
• Place your artwork into the box and stuff the front, back, sides and top of the box with paper and/or bubble wrap, making sure there are no gaps left anywhere
#4 – Lampshades
Often large and awkwardly shaped, lampshades can be difficult to pack. Unless packed properly, they can be easily torn or dented prevent this happening by:
• Using separate boxes for each shade
• Wrapping each shade in Bubble wrap, making sure every inch is covered
• Filling the shades interior cavity with crumpled packing paper (avoid using newspapers as the print may rub of onto your shades)
• Cushioning the box with crumpled packing paper, placing the shade into it and securing it with more crumpled up paper to prevent it from shifting
• Do not place anything (even soft items like linen, for instance) on top of the shade, just add more crumpled paper to the top to stop the shade moving
#5 – Stereo Equipment
People often place multiple components of their stereo equipment into a box without putting any padding in between them. This, of course, can cause all kinds of damage, to prevent damage:
• Wrap the first component in bubble wrap, making sure it’s completely covered
• Tape the bubble wrap to keep it in place and 0lace the item vertically into the box (a “dish pack” box or double corrugated box is ideal unless, of course, you still have original box and packing materials)
• Wrap the next component and place it into the box next to the first one. Do not stack components, but place all of them (or as many you van fit into your box) side by side
• Stuff crumpled paper into any spaces between components, then add paper to the top for extra cushioning and to prevent items from moving around
Final Packing Tips for Home Removals
Naturally, It is important not to make boxes too heavy, as excessive weight could potentially lead to serious personal injuries. Boxes containing heavier items (i.e. glasses, plates ect.) Should be double or triple taped (taping in both directions) to ensure bottoms don’t drop out. Better still, you can make sure your belongings are packed safe and secure by letting our professional packers do the job for you.
You can fill out our short enquiry form at the bottom of this page and one of our team members will respond ASAP.
Contact MaxiMove Ltd – Man & Van Hire
For a Free No-Obligation Quotation
Call 07388 230841